Friday, December 18, 2009

Spontaneous day...

It was a spontaneous day, my friend Amy called this morning wanting to go shopping and having brunch. Who can say no to that? We were on the hunt for stocking stuffers and small gifts for friends. We stopped at Michaels Craft Store....boy...I could spend all day there...lots of craft ideas. I did buy the magazine "Where Women Create"...I love to read how women got their  art inspiration, how they organize and keep it all together. I drooled over some of their wooden storage cabinets, the bling and dolls. I love it all! I also bought that cute little Santa box ornament, hoping I can re-create one myself...I seem to be in a holiday crafting mood lately...just need more hours in the day to make it all! This weekend I plan to spend my day baking, baking and more baking. I wasn't really sure as to what to bake, sure I got requests from my boys (1 hubby and 2 sons) but I wanted to bake something different this year. Then a couple of days ago I came across this box full of old recipes that someone lovingly handwrote and caterogized. Oh what Joy!!! I couldn't wait to get home and see what mouth watering treats I could uncover, what dish I could make or what new flavor I could try. I did find a fudge recipe that sounds yummy, although I am not a brownie/fudge loving person  but I am still willing to bake them for my boys. Another great find from the thrift store are these hand blown red glass balls...I love, love, love these. I hung them on my curtain next to my crystals..which will stay there all year long. Can you believe I still haven't finished Christmas decorating? I have my buffet table left then on to decorating the tree tomorrow. But I did manage to put together a few little vignettes for Christmas....and I do want to mention that all of the decorations are thrift store or dumpster finds...well except  for the picture candle of my dad.  Have a wonderful weekend  doing the things you love. Feliz Navidad.

4 comments:

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Sylvia!
I love a spontaneous day! It sounds like you had fun..I know I sure could spend hours at Michael's too! I love all your holiday decorations...my favorite place to find treasures is thrifting too! Thank you for stopping by and sharing in my excitement. I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas with your boys! I bet that fudge comes out great! Take care, Laura

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi Sylvia,

Just stopped to say hi!. Your Christmas decorations are really lovely, and I know how busy it is at Christmas with all the baking, baking did I mention baking??????????:):)

Merry Christmas to you and your family,

Jo

Sherrie said...

And what could be better than "Dumpster Diving", that is where I find many of my treasures. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Minnie said...

You must have been dumpster diving in some very posh places! Your decorations look great. I, too, love that magazine and drool over the photos as well. And how wonderful that someone who loves to bake as much as you do ended up with the recipe treasures so lovingly written by hand and collected by someone. An amazing find.