Saturday, March 27, 2010

Secret garden mulch...

I've been working on the secret garden since early this morning...as you can see I tore up some cardboard and placed it by the edge of the fence to prevent weeds from invading. I didn't want to put weed block there because weed block tends to compact the soil making it harder to plant. And I know I will always be adding plants to this part of the garden.....you can also see lots of oak leaves which will help the soil...this is common in my yard since I have large oak trees.  I spread the eucalyptus shredding mulch along the plant area and at the entrance of the gate. I have to say that I am not happy with the mulch....I feel like I am in a giant hamster or rabbit litter box...hahahaha. Butttttttt...that's what I went with and I will stick with it until it's time to replace the mulch. I do need to run to Lowe's and get more bags though....boy will my hubby be happy about that...hahahaha   What do you think of that rusty looking container? It used to look better but with it being Florida....everything turns like that eventually.  The plants are doing well, some have even opened up and are blooming nicely.  I also wanted to show you this silver post that's beside the house....behind the Grand Duke jasmine. I believe there was a fence there at one time. I really don't want to bother my hubby to remove it so I am trying to figure out what to do with it...any suggestions???  I am STILL working on the stepping stones...hoping to get a few more done this week, beings we are on Spring Break. 

4 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your secret garden is looking good. Our neighbor's oak has dropped lots of leaves onto our property, so I need to rake them up and use them. Don't you just love the Grand Duke Jasmine. It is one of my favorites! Big, fat, white and wonderfully scented blooms.

Love your rusted planter too.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Your garden is coming along just fine. Maybe in time the branches of the plant wii hide the silver post. Or you can just paint it a verdigris green metal paint for now to hide it. Have fun gardening. Julian

Unknown said...

Your garden is looking great - I'd love to make a secret garden too but never have. Love your flowers and the rusty container is wonderful. Everything here rusts too as you can well imagine with all of our rain.
Thanks so much for stopping by and also for following my blog.
To answer your question about the Heuchera Snow Angel I got mine at a local nursery who had it overpriced because they were told it wasn't going to be sold anymore because they don't produce fast enough - then someone laughingly told me they had a kazillion of them at WalMart last summer. You might want to try there and see if they have them again.

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Your garden is coming along nicely. How about putting a fancy bird house on top of that pole (or something similar decorative)?
I'm working in the yard also but boy is it HOT today, planted tomatoes and getting a bed ready for ranunculus bulbs when they arrive.
Have fun.