Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pumpkin Bread


If blogs had a scent button I would definetely use it right now. My kitchen smells good enough to eat. I made my traditional pumpkin bread this morning and it turned out Yummylicious!!! Remember a while back when I bought the warty looking pumpkin called Brode Galeux d'Eysines?  Well, I decided to use that pumpkin for my pumpkin bread.  As I was cutting it open it gave the aroma of sweet peanuts...trust me it smelled wonderful!! I found that this pumpkin was easier to cut the skin off then I placed the pumpkin meat in boiling water, it didnt take that long to soften. I then placed the cooked pumpkin in a large bowl and let it drain. I do this several times because it does retain lots of water ( I need to find a receipe that calls for pumpkin water). After the bread came out of the oven hubby commented how golden the bread looked compared to last years bread. Folks....this pumpkin is DELICIOUS, the bread has a nice sweet flavor. I usually freeze a couple of loafs for the colder months but I dont know if its going to last that long with my boys in the house. lol

Pumpkin Bread Recipe
3 eggs
1/2 cup crisco
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin (I use fresh pumpkin)
1 tsp. pure vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup nuts (optional)

Cream sugar and crisco. Add eggs and dry sifted ingredients. Add pumpkin and water alternately. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat 2 minutes at high speed (or longer). Bake 2 small loaf pans(or larger loafs) for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

For anyone that would love some pumpkin seeds to grow I have plenty to share just leave me a comment that you are interested.

Toodles...

No comments: